Hello, June 2017

What a year it's been so far.

As we move into the sixth month of a year that has been eventful both in the wider world and in my personal life, I'm feeling reflective.


The past six months have been full of change.

I've been back up north since December, now, and focusing on recovery from four years of anxiety and other related issues, which all came to a head almost exactly one year ago.

In June 2016, the picture looked very different to today's.


The issues I'd been ignoring or hiding from those around me refused to be ignored any more, and I was in a complete state.

I couldn't eat or sleep, everything terrified me and I'm not going to lie: it was a scary, scary period.

That was my signal to change my life.

For years I had been trying to pretend I could cope, but my body was now telling me I couldn't - I needed to face it all head on.


After a period working with an incredible counsellor in London, I left the big city to practice what I had been learning and change my whole lifestyle.

The focus has been bringing back the Sophie that was lost years ago, and adding to that new practices, new happiness and a focus on an exciting future.


2017 so far has seen huge change.

I can quite honestly say I feel like a completely different person.

I've been doing weekly yoga sessions with someone who is teaching me so much not only about yoga, but about contentment and happiness.

I've got a personal trainer, and for the first time in my life am working out properly, heading toward a goal of feeling strong and healthy.

I joined a group following the Couch to 5K programme and I'm looking forward to being one of those people who would choose to 'go for a run to clear my head'.

I've pretty much doubled my food intake (I'm not eating as much as I should be just yet, but I'm well on my way) and I'm slowly reintroducing foods I'd ruthlessly cut out of my ever more restrictive diet.

I'm getting outside more, I'm meeting new people and I'm really focusing on enjoying friendships with some of the amazing people I have in my life.

Last week, I sang in front of people (microphone and all) for the first time in about four years - one of my all-time favourite things to do and something that always used to make me so happy.


I keep getting comments from people that they feel like the old Sophie is coming back.

The old Sophie, but with some extras.

I've learned a lot about myself and others.

My confidence is growing.

My happiness and sense of gratitude are growing.


I'm working towards all-round health (mental and physical).

It's been quite a journey, so far.

I think June is going to be a GREAT month.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Writing fiction as a way to move forwards.

Clicking 'Reply'

The Reading List #7