The Challenge #5: April 2014

It’s a new month and that means it’s time for a new challenge. Yet again, I’m a couple of days late posting about my challenge, but the bonus is that means I can give a bit of feedback on my first couple of days.

The challenge: walk to and from work, don’t take the bus.

I should probably mention that this walk is 3.5 miles each way…


I’ve been doing this for 2 weeks now, since moving to the new house, and have made it my April challenge to make sure I keep it up. Here’s the bonuses I’ve noticed so far:

- It gives me a great slot of thinking time. As someone who has been struggling with panic for the last 6 months or so, I’ve heard it’s a good plan to give yourself some thoughtful time, which you can then block off and set aside and continue with your day. So far, that’s working.

- It’s great exercise. A brisk walk at both ends of the day can never be a bad thing. I’m doing a fast walk for about 45 minutes each way, which is no bad thing. It leaves me feeling energised, and over 2 weeks I’ve found it’s getting easier to keep up a pace.

- It satisfies my nosiness. Who doesn’t love people watching? I like to look at shops, houses, people, and this gives me more of that than the bus.

- It’s free. I’m trying to be really sensible with my money at the moment, and there are things I’d far rather spend my money on than a bus pass.

- I don’t like buses. I mean, the option is there if I want it, which is nice. But they’re usually hot, crowded, and I don’t want to just sit in still traffic for ages.



So there you have it. I will report back at the end of the month, but I’m on a roll so far!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Reading List #7

Writing fiction as a way to move forwards.

The Reading List # 5