Accountability partners

I've never really done the whole 'accountability partner' thing before.

Truth be told, I don't like being told what to do. I've also always been the best at keeping in touch out of most of my friends so it would always have been me doing that chasing for check-ins.

On a related note, I've never quite been on the same path at the same time as any of my friends. Certainly not aligned enough to be true accountability partners and understand each other's goals and motivations.


Because being an accountability partner isn't just about cheering your friends on or having a bit of a catch up; it's about pushing one another forwards and helping each other to be honest about what we're actually doing and whether or not that's best serving us.


Enter Emily.

Emily and I went to primary school together, and this time last year ended up getting back in touch and realised we're in very similar places mentally, with goals that are very different but fit into the same creative spaces.

The conversations go on for hours, and the honesty is there.


At the beginning of January, we were having the usual post-Christmas catch up and each listed our goals or plans for the coming year.

We had some overlaps, and then we each had some totally different goals of our own.

Emily suggested we be accountability partners, and keep each other on track through the year.


I'm not going to lie, my initial reaction was no thanks! As I've mentioned before, I hate being told what to do. If I was already planning to do something and then someone reminds me to do it, it drives me up the wall. It's something that has always frustrated me about myself.

Then I thought about it again and remembered the phrase 'nothing changes if you keep on doing the same thing you've always been doing'.

I trust Emily, I'm honest with her, and she understands my goals. The same is true the other way round (I like to think so, anyway).

So why not give it a try?


Yesterday, we had our first monthly check in and it felt good.

I didn't feel like I was being nagged, it was just an open and honest conversation about where we were up to and what we wanted to change.

It's left me feeling really positive.


I've definitely been experiencing bigger and bigger mindset shifts recently in terms of my motivation and productivity, and I think this is another step on that same path.

We're into month two of 2018, and so far it's shaping up to be a good one.




Sophie x

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Reading List #7

Writing fiction as a way to move forwards.

The Reading List # 5