Time blitzes

If you asked a lot of people I've spent time with over the years, both in and out of school and beyond, they'd probably agree that I was an organised person. I've always done well at creating that illusion.

The truth is, I really battle with myself most days to get anything done at all.


I've always wanted to get things done, not let people down and do everything to the best of my ability, but inside my mind there is a master procrastinator.

Don't get me wrong, some things I don't struggle to get done. There might be an immovable deadline or something of huge importance; if there's absolutely no choice or a clear deadline, I'll get that thing done.

As soon as there's some uncertainty, the desire to be efficient starts to duel with the master procrastinator.


I've tried lots of things over the years to help, but this year decided things really needed to change. I'm juggling multiple jobs and responsibilities across many areas of my life, and if I don't stay on top of things I'll end up in a bit of a pickle. I don't have one boss or body that oversees it all and can keep me in check... apart from myself.


Enter: the time blitz.


Over the last month or so, I've been playing with the idea of having short blocks of time where I work at the fastest pace possible to tick off those really satisfying jobs that are great to tick but easy to delay.

If I've walked home listening to a podcast and there's 15 minutes left, I'll clean as much of the front room as I can. Or I'll set myself a 10 minute timer to wash up and clean the kitchen. A 20 minute timer to draft that blog post.

There's no magic to this idea and I'm sure it's been suggested to me by multiple sources, but these things don't work unless you ACTUALLY implement them.


I was also recently reminded of the amazing quote 'tasks expand to fill the time you have', which is so true!

If you've only got 30 minutes to get something essential done, you'll do it, but if you have two hours it can take you that long.


It's still a work in progress, as my natural instinct is to add things to a list and do them later.

But there's been a definite shift in the way I'm using my time, and over time I'm convinced I can completely change my time management skills.


Sophie x

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Reading List #7

Writing fiction as a way to move forwards.

The Reading List # 5