The Reading List #40

This is by far one of my favourite reading lists, in that these books were all five star. Some I had been meaning to read for a long time before finally picking them up, and I’m so glad I finally read them. Others I had never heard of until picking them up and now can’t stop recommending them.


Dominion, C. J. Sansom


It is 1952, in a world where Britain surrendered to Hitler in 1940, and Churchill is leading an underground resistance movement. Full of spies and political drama, this was a real page-turner. The story was good, but what I loved the most was how utterly convincing the world created was. It felt like a very realistic scenario, and this was sustained throughout the novel. I’ve recommended this one to a lot of people.


The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo, The Girl Who Played with Fire & The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet’s Nest, Stieg Larsson


The plot begins in the first book, with Mikael Blomkvist researching the Vanger Corporation for an unsolved mystery. Lisbeth Salander is a hacker and a lone wolf, with whom he crosses paths… And that’s all I can say! This isn’t a genre I’d typically go for – there’s a fair amount of violence and a focus on coding and hacking. The intricate plot also pulls in journalism and corruption, and it’s a real page-turner. Blomkvist and Salander are also stunningly complex characters, who I enjoyed reading about.


The Da Vinci Code, Dan Brown


A Louvre curator has been brutally murdered, and his body is left surrounded by codes. Professor Robert Langdon and cryptologist Sophie Neveu work together through the riddles. I came to this one way after everyone else had read it, and enjoyed it a lot more than I expected to. There’s plenty of suspense, and the ‘history’ is plausible and well thought-out. There were some moments where I couldn’t help feeling they’d escaped or cracked a code a little too easily to be believable, but overall it was a good read.


The Storyteller, Jodi Picoult


Easily one of my favourite books in a long time. The story spans two generations – one part is a man and his family, who are living with secrets in the present day; the other part is a Holocaust tale. This was just breath-taking, with the lives of the characters intricately woven. The story of one woman’s journey as a girl in horrific circumstances, and how her gift for storytelling kept her going, was beautiful. Both the war story and the present day were written well, with great characters, and I definitely shed a few tears.



Which books have you read recently which you can’t stop reading?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Clicking 'Reply'

Made in Dagenham, NK Theatre Arts

The Little Mermaid, NK Theatre Arts