Thirty years

On this day thirty years ago my parents said ‘I do’.

My mum looked beautiful. Dad had a dodgy moustache and wasn’t sure the correct way to kneel down during the marriage ceremony.

Thirty years on, they’re celebrating their love on an incredible trip around Sri Lanka.

They’re in love, and they’re the best of friends.

I have so much admiration for the two people I call Mum and Dad, and their relationship is just one of the things I have been so lucky to grow up around.

They laugh. They bicker. They support. They mess about. They make plans.

They go on adventures. They go on dates. They have ‘couple friends’ and their own friends.

They both run their own companies and support each other relentlessly through the ups and downs that come with that.

They taught my sister and me so much of what we know. They put us through fantastic schools and helped us continue on to our universities. They help us when we need advice, or are struggling. 

They let us make our own mistakes, whilst making it clear they’re there when we need them.

They taught me the importance of making time for the people that matter.

They taught me that when you love someone, you should want to be with them all the time, but also love your time apart, which you can then come together and share tales about.

They taught me the importance of family, and supporting one another.

They brought up my sister and me in a happy, happy home, full of love and support.

When we make mistakes, they tell us why we were wrong.

When we do things well, they’re the proudest people in the world.

I feel so lucky to have parents who are still so in love, and live every day together as the best of friends.

They have taught me so much about love, life and family. To me they are the most important people in the world.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Writing fiction as a way to move forwards.

Clicking 'Reply'

The Reading List #7