The missing link to personal development

Something has been on my mind for a long time and I think I've finally found the words to speak about it.

Let me start by saying I'm all about personal development. I read and listen to an awful lot, I have daily practices centred around gratitude, meditation and affirmations and I am all for people learning about their brain, personality and trying to make changes.

However, I think there are two essential parts to a personal development journey, and I think one side is being ignored by too many.


In my eyes, the two sides are:
- developing your own self
- developing the way that 'self' presents itself to the world and interacts with others


When I engage online with the whole 'personal development' world, I feel that the side being shouted about is the first one.

I'm not trying to deny this stage in the process is essential. We could all do with a bit more self-belief, self-esteem and understanding that we can take actions to better ourselves and change our life.

However, if this part of the process is done in isolation, it can present in some ways, by some people, as a sort of arrogance.

And here lies my issue.


I'm all for people improving themselves, going for what they want and knowing their actions get results.

But if they don't then use some of that learning and new understanding of the human brain, motivation and positivity to help others or affect the way they relate to others, what's the point?

Nobody exists in a vacuum, and if you improve yourself only internally, that doesn't necessarily radiate out to all areas of your life.


Yes, surrounding yourself with people on a similar journey helps, and your new-found positivity and confidence is likely to have a positive effect on some others in your life...

But if you stay so focused on yourself you begin to lose sight of those around you or cut people out too ruthlessly, I think that's a problem.


A huge part of my personal development journey - possibly my favourite part - has been the way it has taught me to view others differently. I've become so much more empathetic and have found it far easier to understand the motivations of those who act completely differently to me.


In many ways, I think this is the real value of personal development: working on yourself, which in turn improves the way you interact with and affect the world around you.


Don't focus only on your own affirmations, but also on the way you could then have a positive impact on the world around you.

Use what you've learned about personality types not only to analyse yourself, but also to relate to those you meet and improve your communication with those you've struggled to connect with or understand.

Develop yourself, whilst also being a shining light in the circles you move in. Let your journey also help those you come into contact with.

Listen, empathise, learn and dive deeper.


It's when the balance of internal and external is reached that I think the truest happiness comes.



Sophie x

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Reading List #7

Writing fiction as a way to move forwards.

The Reading List # 5