Why I deleted My Fitness Pal

Until early this year, I had never been a traditional 'dieter' or tracked my calories and macros in any way. In fact, I'd count myself as slightly clueless when it comes to the calorie composition of many foods, or how many grams of protein could be found in a meal.

I then began a series of sessions with a personal trainer, as I realised it was time to start looking after my body as I was looking after my mind. I'd been told time and again how much of an impact nutrition and exercise could have on anxiety and depression, so it was time to stop making excuses.


One of the tools suggested to me by my personal trainer was the popular app My Fitness Pal. It allows you to track your food and water intake and your exercise, and also offers articles on fitness and food on the homepage feed. She emphasised that we were not going to get hung up on calories or numbers, but that because my eating had been affected so badly over a sustained period that it would be a useful way of getting to know what my body needed.

At first. it was a hugely useful tool. It highlighted just how much I was undereating (taking in less than a third of what was recommended for me), and began to teach me the macro make-up of lots of meals and roughly how many calories I was taking in.

It also really helped on the path of increasing my food intake, as I could clearly see that progress happening. Another interesting addition was the exercise element, as I had previously had no idea how many calories different types of exercise were burning.


So, for a certain amount of time, it was a great tool. Another reminder again that my personal trainer had never, ever said it was the be all and end all, nor had she said everything was all about calories. She had suggested its use as one in a whole range of tools. I just want to make it clear what I'm about to describe next was just a personal thing, not based on being given dodgy advice, and nor am I claiming the app wouldn't work brilliantly for other people.


About a month ago, I realised my relationship with the app was changing. That may sound a bit silly, as it's 'just an app', but I have and always have had quite an obsessive personality, and can end up very fixated on things.

I realised the attitude with which I was approaching this tracking of my food and exercise was shifting. I'd get hugely frustrated and angry if I hadn't hit the target I was aiming for. I'd feel ashamed entering a dinner out or a pizza. I'd hate the days I couldn't add anything into the exercise box (despite it being a scheduled rest day). I was also finding the push notifications were really getting to me and I was feeling under a lot of pressure to record everything I did and ate.

To some people, this will sound ridiculous. But to someone coming from a period of extremely unhealthy eating habits and a tendency towards obsession and getting very hung up on things, I realised something had taken a wrong turn.


So I deleted the app.

Within minutes, I felt like a huge weight had been lifted off my shoulders.

The next day, I woke up in a brilliant mood.

And, perhaps most interestingly of all, since deleting the app I've been making better food choices and been more inclined to work out!

I think because I was starting to feel that pressure from the app (I'm sorry if this sounds ridiculous, but plenty of people will know exactly what I mean!), I was actively 'rebelling' against it. I was wanting to veer towards the unhealthy choices and then getting cross with myself when I had to 'confess' to the app what I'd done.

That, my friends, is not a healthy way to be!


I'm glad I used the app for a while. It helped me realise how much food I should be eating, it helped me increase that intake, it taught me the calorie and nutrient make-up of plenty of foods...

But our time together is up! It helped for a time, and then it didn't.

I feel like I've learned a lot, I feel great now I no longer have it, and most of all I'm proud of myself for noticing that shift in my attitude towards the app and removing it from my life.


I think that's a part of this entire journey, isn't it?

Both with physical and mental health, it's about trying things out and then learning to listen to your own mind and body. We are constantly evolving and changing and learning, and we need to learn to accept the signals our body and brain are sending to us and make decisions for our health and happiness.


I'd love to know if you've had any similar experiences, or the complete opposite and you've found apps like these really work for you!

Sophie x

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Reading List #7

Writing fiction as a way to move forwards.

The Reading List # 5