The Reading List #48

I made myself a promise that I'd catch up  with these posts - that is, I've read far more than I've included on here in recent months and I want to make sure I'm not missing anything out.

So, without further ado, here's my thoughts on four more books I've devoured recently.


Sweet Caress, William Boyd


Set over a period of about 70 years, beginning in the early 1900s, this book follows the life of photographer Amory Clay. From photographing socialites to spending World War Two as one of the first female war photographers, Clay's life offers a sweeping view of twentieth century Europe and America.

This book blurs the boundaries between biography and fiction; you totally believe Clay is real and she's painted with such depth and detail. The inclusion of photographs throughout enriches the narrative further still. It's an impressive read and nice to have such a strong female protagonist.


Big Magic, Elizabeth Gilbert



This book is just beautiful. If you are creative in any way, whether through your hobby or career, this is a must-read. Gilbert's way of speaking about creativity and inspiration is so unique and wise, and I found myself nodding along to so many of her words.

Her thoughts on inspiration in particular really opened my eyes to a new way of looking at the creative process. She in some ways makes the process seem a whole lot less magical and more matter of fact, while simultaneously making you believe anything is possible and your creativity is limitless. I'm not going to try and explain any of her concepts in a few short lines, but I urge you to pick up a copy.


The Girls, Lisa Jewell



A group of families all live around a communal square, with a sense of community allowing the children to all play out together, parents safe in the knowledge there is a whole group watching out for them. When 13 year-old Grace is found unconscious in a local garden, there's a rush to try and find out who could be responsible.

I had really mixed feelings on completing this book. It reminded me of The Slap in its 'who saw what', ensemble cast style, but didn't have the same power as I personally felt The Slap did. I struggled to get to know Grace, Leo and Adele and identify with them in any way and I felt like an outsider throughout. This may have been a narrative choice, but it didn't quite work for me. Something I did like was the Clare/Pip/Grace trio and the relationship with their father, but that could have been a whole story in itself. I found it was that which I wanted more of, rather than the actual central plot.


Stuffocation, James Wallman



This book is a deep-dive into materialism, capitalism and the attachment we as humans have to 'stuff''. Wallman suggests 'stuffocation' as a name for the current 'epidemic' we are experiencing and sets out to try and find a solution.

It's packed with fascinating case studies exploring everything from the effects of possessions on your cortisol levels, to stories of people who have sold it all and attempted a life away from the norm. He explores alternatives to the current way in which we view our possessions and discusses ways to change that relationship. I found this a really interesting read. Although I'm not sure his conclusions and solutions were as strong as they could have been, the exploration of the concepts and ideas made for great reading.


As mixed a bunch as ever, but hopefully there's a bit of inspiration if you're stuck on what to read next.

Until the next one...

Sophie x

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Reading List #7

Writing fiction as a way to move forwards.

The Reading List # 5